Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Not So Traditional

It has been about a week since my last blog because I have been extremely busy. Between Lucy, school, work, being sick and wrapping presents, I have not had time for much else. I am so close to being finished with school for the semester that I can taste it. I've been trying my best to get all my school work completed for all four classes by next week so I can call it a semester! I have really enjoyed school this semester. It seems the closer I get to finishing, the more I love my classes... not sure if it is because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel or because I really love my major. Either way, I'm not complaining. When I was younger, I use to joke with my dad about being a lifetime student with no seriousness behind it but I guess the joke was on me. Haha..
Tomorrow brings much excitement for me! My sister, her husband and their pup, Lola, will be dropping by to pick me and Lucy up to head home for Thanksgiving. Although it won't be the same without Brandi and Q-dawg there, we are sure going to eat good for them ;).. But in all seriousness, this year the holidays are going to be anything but traditional. I am pretty positive this is the first Thanksgiving without Brandi there. And while Marci will be there for Thanksgiving, she won't be there for Christmas; neither will Brandi. In 23 years, I have never spent the holidays without my sisters. I'm not sure how I will feel. On top of my sisters not being there, neither will my Aunt Phe, Uncle Jean and Aunt Dora. Without them there, Marci and Brandi won't have to worry about me eating good without them haha.
I sit here and think about how all this makes me feel. I will have my parents and I'm sure they will spoil me, like always ;) (I mean I am the favorite now haha) I've been blessed to grow up in a big family. The more people that are there for the holidays, the more enjoyable it is for me. Then, I think about the people who have no family and even the homeless. It all hits home. Working at Wal-Mart last year was very eye-opening and painful during the holiday season. Leaving work every day to four or five individuals sleeping on the benches inside the door to stay warm, walking into the bathroom to a woman bathing herself the best she can (clothed of course), to them always telling me "God Bless" as I left work. Then I think to myself, how strong their faith must be. We as humans sit here and question God when things don't go our way. We don't stop to think of all the other individuals that are less fortunate or have it much worse. We want to lose faith the minute we feel God has turned his back on us but truth is, he has a plan. It may take us down a path we don't chose or we don't like but if he did not trust us, he would not put us down that path. These homeless individuals, many of whom got themselves in these situations, really are heroic in their own way. They survive the harshest of harshest conditions on a daily basis but many don't question God. They are living examples to people like me that I should be thankful for everything in my life.
I've been down many paths in my life, and I have questioned some. In the end, however, it has led me to where and who I am today. I'm very proud of myself. I've been through many battles; some I've won and some I've lost but I have always given my whole self in everything I've done. It's like that saying goes "You have to roll with the punches"; life will throw many things at you but don't lose your faith or your vision. You are here for a purpose. Be thankful for yourself and everything in it. We only live once so thank God for your many blessings. And always remember, those "not-so-blessing" moments in your life always turn out to be a true blessing in disguise.
Thank you God! So very thankful on this Thanksgiving! Even though it won't be the same, it will still be a blessing! Happy Thanksgiving to you all! It's just the two of us until next time..

P.S. Lucy loves Turkey! Gobble Gobble!

4 comments:

  1. You should've come to the east coast for a visit! :) And you guys are welcome at Christmas, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You too Courtney!

    And Steph, do you think the "Real" Lucy, as you say, could handle my Lucy?! :)

    ReplyDelete