Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thankful Tuesday

As many of you know, Lucy and I went back to my hometown this past weekend to visit my parents, aunts, grandpa, and cousin. As with any road trip, I did a lot of thinking. Maybe it's the time of year or maybe I'm truly realizing how lucky I am and I couldn't help but think about how thankful I am for everyone and everything in my life.
First of all, I'm thankful for such wonderful parents who have gone out of their way to make sure my sisters and I had/have everything we need. They have supported us through everything and never gave up on us... even though I know my dad sometimes thought I would never figure out a college major ;) haha.. I have never had to worry about gas, a car, cellphone, money, etc. Even though they have always supplied us with that, they did teach us the importance of financial stability. We worked for what we were given. When I graduated high school, I started paying my own tuition, rent, utilities, and food. I currently still do; however, by them making us pay these bills, I learned how to manage money. For that skill, I am beyond thankful.
Secondly, I'm thankful for my sisters. Boy, it's been a tough road to finally get to this point but it was so worth it. I remember the days of me and Brandi fighting and Marci mediating; poor thing, she was always stuck in the middle. I know my parents wanted to kill us at times but it has all led to where we are today. My sisters are the two I call for advice and support. We are all very close even though we are all separated by distance. Maybe that's what it took for us to realize the importance of having each other. We go our whole lives living together, waiting for that opportunity to break free, but when we finally do, the one thing we all wish for is to be back together under one roof.. oh the irony in life. It's kind of like when we are kids and can't wait to grow up but when we do, we wish we were kids again.
Thirdly, if it wasn't for athletics, I don't know where I would be. It's the bond that has given my family that cohesiveness. I learned so many of life's lessons out on that softball field that it would take forever to name them all. It helped pay my tuition for two years, gain new friendships I would not have otherwise, and it taught me to be myself. It taught me that there's a time to have fun and a time to be serious, which is important to have especially in the work force. But what it taught me most was determination. If I had never learned what determination was, there's no way I would still be in college. This is my sixth year and when I finally graduate with my bachelor's, it will be seven years to only come out with an education degree. I have been discouraged, frustrated, etc. I got scared along the way in picking the right career. As cliche as it sounds, I eventually "let go and let God." I finally went back to special education and have stuck with it since.
Lastly, but certainly not least, I'm thankful for my sweet Lucy. She was given to me as a surprise birthday gift back in 2008 and we have been going strong ever since. She has taught me so many things but the most important is love. People talk about what love is to them, but what love is to me is my dog. She was the one that has never let me down, has been there to lick my tears when I felt like giving up, cock that little smashed face when I was depressed as if she was telling me it would be OK, and show me what it is to love unconditionally when I had no idea. She brings so much laughter and joy to my life, as many of you see from the pictures. I know there's a reason God brought that pup into my life and I'm forever thankful for my best friend. It's just the two of us until next time..
My sisters and Lucy after the NE alumni softball game 2010

Lucy and I

1 comment: